KILTR, the social network for everyone with an interest in Scotland, is to be launched internationally during this year’s Scotland Week celebrations in New York City.
Members of the KILTR team will host a launch event in Manhattan on Thursday 12th April, which will include a panel discussion on the next wave of social networking, chaired by Scottish singer and writer Pat Kane (and streamed live on the internet via KILTR). Scotland’s Cabinet Secretary for Culture and External Affairs, Fiona Hyslop, will welcome guests to the KILTR event via a pre-recorded video message.
KILTR’s CEO, Brian Hughes, said: “We know that Scotland holds a special place in the hearts of millions of people all across the globe. Through KILTR we’re providing a place for those people to connect; to find and share news, views and great Scottish content; to build friendships and business relationships that will be vital to Scotland’s future, commercially and culturally.
“Scots always receive a warm welcome in the U.S. so I’m sure KILTR will get a great reception. Anyone interested in attending our launch event is more than welcome to come along.”
Cabinet Secretary for Culture and External Affairs Fiona Hyslop said: “Around 50 million people worldwide claim Scottish descent, many in the USA and Canada. Social media is changing the way we connect with the world and KILTR is a great way for people with an interest in Scotland to keep in touch.”
KILTR’s creators hope that the Scottish network will be the first of many interconnected affinity networks to be built on their technology platform, ‘diaspora networks’.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS, PLEASE CONTACT:
Michael Feeley / Bjorn Sandberg, KILTR, T: 0141 342 4240
Notes to Editors
1. KILTR’s international launch event will take place at 6:30pm on Thursday 12th April, at We Work, Soho NYC, 154 Grand Street. If you or a colleague will be in New York for Scotland Week and would like to attend the event, please contact email@example.com
2. The Twitter hashtag for KILTR’s launch event is #KILTRNYC. Get immediate updates by following @KILTR (www.twitter.com/KILTR).
3. The Event will be Livestreamed via www.KILTR.com/KILTR, EDT 6:30pm / GMT 11:30pm, April 12th, 2012.
4. KILTR is based in Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
5. Built around the annual Tartan Day celebrations in the USA and Canada on April 6, Scotland Week is an annual week long programme of business, political and tourism engagements aimed at the promotion of Scotland as a great place to live, visit, do business, study and invest with key North American markets in the USA and Canada.